Govt examining impact of US Supreme Court order on tariffs: Commerce Ministry

/ 2 min read
Summary

The response came after the Supreme Court of the United States termed President Donald Trump’s broad-based tariffs “illegal” in a 6-3 majority ruling delivered on Friday, marking a significant legal setback to his trade agenda during his second term in office.

In a statement, the Ministry of Commerce & Industry said it had taken note of the ruling and President Trump’s remarks at a press conference following the verdict.
In a statement, the Ministry of Commerce & Industry said it had taken note of the ruling and President Trump’s remarks at a press conference following the verdict. | Credits: Shutterstock

The Centre on Saturday said it is assessing the implications of a recent US Supreme Court judgment that struck down sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump, along with subsequent steps announced by the US administration. 

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign up for Fortune India's ad-free experience
Enjoy uninterrupted access to premium content and insights.

In a statement, the Ministry of Commerce & Industry said it had taken note of the ruling and President Trump’s remarks at a press conference following the verdict. 

“We have noted the US Supreme Court judgement on tariffs yesterday. President Trump has also addressed a press conference in that regard. Some steps have been announced by the US Administration. We are studying all these developments for their implications,” the ministry said. 

6-3 ruling strikes down Trump’s sweeping tariffs as unconstitutional 

The response came after the Supreme Court of the US termed President Donald Trump’s broad-based tariffs “illegal” in a 6-3 majority ruling delivered on Friday, marking a significant legal setback to his trade agenda during his second term in office. 

Chief Justice John Roberts, writing for the majority, held that the unilateral imposition of tariffs on multiple nations without Congressional ratification violated federal law. The court said the President had asserted “extraordinary power to unilaterally impose tariffs of unlimited amount, duration, and scope,” and that such authority required clear Congressional authorisation. 

Bench finds administration overstepped limits of emergency powers 

The bench ruled that the emergency powers invoked by the administration fell short of permitting the sweeping tariff measures. 

Recommended Stories

The cases — Learning Resources v. Trump and Trump v. V.O.S. Selections, Inc. — were filed last year after the Trump administration had imposed tariffs under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA). The court examined whether the law empowered the President to levy wide-ranging tariffs through executive orders. 

On April 2, 2025, Trump had signed Executive Order 14257, dubbed the ‘Liberation Day’ tariffs, imposing duties on trading partners worldwide. The administration had argued the measures were necessary to protect the US economy, safeguard jobs and address persistent trade imbalances. 

ADVERTISEMENT

India is now closely evaluating the fallout of the ruling and any policy shifts that may follow in Washington. 

Explore the world of business like never before with the Fortune India app. From breaking news to in-depth features, experience it all in one place. Download Now