Beating analyst estimates, Axis Bank has reported a 62% year-on-year rise in its net profit at ₹5,853 crore in the October-December quarter as compared to ₹3,614 crore profit in the same period last year.

The private lender's net interest income (NII) for the quarter jumped 32% YoY to ₹11,459 crore, while its net interest margin (NIM) surged 4.26% in the said quarter, the bank said in a BSE filing. The Axis Bank stock declined 0.059% to ₹930 on the National Stock Exchange (NSE) today.

Axis Bank's other income for the said quarter grew 23% YoY to ₹4,101 crore. Overall, the non-interest income comprising fees, trading profit and miscellaneous income rose 21% YoY and 18% QoQ to ₹4,665 crore.

Axis Bank's provision and contingencies for the quarter stood at ₹1,438 crore, including non-recurring, one-time or prudent provisions of ₹340 crore. The bank's specific "loan loss provisions" for Q3FY23 stood at ₹1,341 crore.

"The Bank has not utilised Covid provisions during the quarter. The bank holds cumulative provisions (standard + additional other than NPA) of ₹5,012 crore at the end of Q3FY23," says Axis Bank.

As on December 31, 2022, the bank’s provision coverage, as a proportion of gross NPAs, stood at 81%, as compared to 72% as on December 31, 2021.

Its gross slippages during the quarter were ₹3,807 crore, as compared to ₹4,147 crore in Q3FY22. Recoveries and upgrades from NPAs during the quarter were ₹2,088 crore. Consequently, the net slippages in NPAs (before write-offs) for the quarter of ₹1,719 crore as compared to ₹860 crore in Q3FY22.

As on December 31, 2022, Axis Bank's balance sheet grew 10% YoY and stood at ₹12,23,509 crore. The total deposits grew by 9% YoY on a quarterly average balance basis and 10% on a YoY basis. The bank’s net advances grew 15% YoY to ₹7,62,075 crore and domestic net loans grew 17% YoY.

For the initial nine months of the financial year, Axis Bank's net profit surged 72% to ₹15,308 crore from ₹8,908 crore in the year-ago period. NII grew 28% YoY to ₹31,204 crore from ₹24,313 crore. Fee income grew 25% YoY to ₹11,540 crore. Its core operating profit during the period grew 38% YoY to ₹23,206 crore from ₹16,859 crore. Operating profit grew 25% YoY to ₹22,881 crore from ₹18,276 crore. The total provisions for the period stood at ₹2,347 crore, down 63% over the same period last fiscal.

As on December 31, 2022, the bank had a network of 4,849 domestic branches and extension counters situated across 2,734 centres compared to 4,700 domestic branches and extension counters across 2,665 centres as on December 31, 2021.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube & Instagram to never miss an update from Fortune India. To buy a copy, visit Amazon.